Saturday, May 21, 2016

BEHIND THE BOOKS WITH: Bruce Fottler


Every time you pick a book and start reading you enter a whole new world of imagination. Mr Fottler sent me to a world of outer space and made me eagerly turn pages as he kept throwing in the surprises till the very last page. I feel absolutely lucky to get a chance to pick on his wonderful brain to get answers to some the questions that I gathered while reading his amazing Sci-fi book CHASING REDEMPTION.  

Author's Bio: Since exiting a finance career in a world of cubicles, Bruce Fottler has been busy writing novels. His latest is the suspense thriller: "The Initiative: In Harm's Way (Book One)."

Bruce grew up in the Chicago suburbs and moved to the Boston area as a young teen. While seeking a career-track that mostly put him behind a desk, he dabbled in creative pursuits such as producing, writing, and directing film shorts. However, it was always writing novels that interested him the most because they aren't limited by production budgets, technical capabilities, or tight shooting schedules.


1. How did you end up with pen and ink? I know you started on with writing short films but what dragged you to novels?

I've always loved to write and direct film shorts, but those opportunities have become scarce. It's a complex, demanding, and expensive undertaking. Also, the more I directed, the more I realized that I had a lot more to learn about the craft (and why people actually go to school to learn this).

Writing novels is like directing a film with an unlimited budget. There are no technical limitations, production staff to manage, location woes, or shooting schedules. It's just my imagination and a keyboard.



2.  Where do you take inspiration for your characters? (From friends or family) Who is Ben inspired from?

My stories tend to feature ordinary people who encounter extraordinary circumstances. Ben is a little different because he's already an accomplished captain at the outset, but quickly finds himself embroiled in circumstances that are far bigger than he could have imagined. My inspiration for unlikely heroes comes from the Bible, which is filled with people put in situations beyond what they believe they are capable of handling.

Ben is a man of deep religious conviction, but far from perfect. I wanted to portray someone who is in over his head, confused, frustrated, and all while trying to do what he thinks is right. There are times when he doesn't have all the answers, fails to make the correct decision, and falters. He's only human, not some supernatural Christian stereotype.

3.  A lot of science and space terminology went into the book. How much time did you spend in preparing and researching for the book?

I wrote Chasing Redemption on and off since 1991. During that time I had plenty of breaks to brush up on emerging technologies and think about how they would fit into the future world that I was creating. I wanted this story to be a techno-thriller set in space, but without the sensational technologies that we commonly see in sci-fi franchises like Star Trek or Star Wars. I also tried to give it a familiar feel. Our solar system is a new ocean and the geopolitical backdrop resembles the cold war era.

4.  There were many points in the story where everything could have gone well and everything ended happily. What was the inspiration to more nail biting suspense?

I'm a big fan of things not always being what they appear. I like to keep the reader guessing, in suspense, and then throw in some plot twists. My hope is to make the story interesting enough to keep the pages turning, and keep a reader up for some late nights.

While I'm generally a fan of happy endings, in real life we don't always get the answers to everything, nor are all the loose ends neatly tied up at the end. I tend to take this approach with my stories.

5.  Religion has played a pivotal role to the entire story. Was it hard to mix science with faith?

The last thing I want to do with my stories is to get preachy. I don't attempt to pit science against faith, except perhaps when a it's appropriate for a character to struggle with it. I just tell the story and let the reader decide for themselves how they feel about it.

6.  Which writers inspire you?

I was very much inspired by Tom Clancy for Chasing Redemption. In fact, a reader once told me CR was like The Hunt for Red October in outer space. I'm also a big fan of John Grisham.

However, it's a quote from C.S. Lewis that I adopted as my writing credo: He once said: “The world does not need more Christian literature. What it needs is more Christians writing good literature.”

7.  Piece of advice for aspiring writers?

That's a tough one. There's so much that has already been said, so I risk being repetitive. But for those who are just starting out, or are thinking about writing a novel, my advice is to focus on getting that first draft written. Don't worry about perfection, you can fix things later. Stop thinking about all the steps afterward (like editing, etc.). Just write and get it finished, because there's nothing like the feeling of typing the words “The End.”

8.  How did you decide the title of your novel? 

I wanted to choose a title that was germane to the story, but also one that hasn't been used for other books. After thinking up and rejecting many titles, I finally came up with “Chasing Redemption” because that sums up what Ben is attempting.

At the time I settled on this title, I was shocked that it hadn't yet been used by anyone (at least that I could find at the time). So I grabbed it fast. A few other books have since popped up with the same title, but it's always good to have been first.

It is a pleasure getting to know Mr. Fottler and here are the links where you can get to know him socially and his upcoming works:


Here is the link to the review of his book : 



Chasing Redemption


**This material cannot be copied or used without the author's permission. **

To get your book reviewed you may contact me at:
Email: inextrica.sukriti@gmail.com
Facebook: Sukriti Goyal
Goodreads: Sukriti
Library Thing: My page
Book Blogs: My page

No comments:

Post a Comment