Friday, May 27, 2016

DEBATABLE.......Isn't It??

Welcome to a brand new series on our Blog. Every now and then we will pick up a topic that we think is debatable and our today's topic is: Are books better or Movie/Sitcom adaptations?

We have with us an artist who would like to shed some light on the topic. You will either find him binge watching Netflix or reading on his Kindle or  so I thought why not ask him about it (BTW he has a job too when he's not doing the above said stuff). We can view his talent on Instagram: Arte_es_la_vida

Handing over the page to him:


Let’s get one thing out of the way, I am a movie buff. A big one at that actually. That being said, I cherish books a lot. I count my day worth if I can manage to get one good read out it, no matter how small it is. So in a way, One of the books on my night stand always has its page dog-eared. But I am sure a lot of you do that.

Now, you can easily start a war (or at least a heated discussion if exaggeration is not allowed) when you ask a group of your friends whether the books or their movie adaptations are better. More than half of them are hard-core movie addicts and the rest are more of book reading type or ‘Sophisticated and urbane’ as they’d like to think of themselves and would criticize the $#i+ out of any on-screen adaptation of their favorite book. As apparent from my beginning statement, movies are great. I mean how you can resist breathtaking visual effects and vivid scenes which prove the saying “A picture speaks thousand words”.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t prefer movies over books. What I prefer is movies ‘and’ books. I see an upcoming movie trailer, I hunt down a book it is based on. By the time that movie comes out, I’ll have already read my way through the book. When you finally see the movie, that feeling which comes from seeing imaginative world you have formed while reading a book come to life, is literally over-whelming. You just adore every frame of it. Let’s take an example of a #1 on-screen adaptation on my list, The ‘Shawshank Redemption’. Every page of that book was better than the last. I wasn’t particularly jazzed when I started the watching movie, thinking how they can possibly top that. But I was proved awfully wrong, thank god, within first 20 minutes of movie when I was subjected to extraordinarily impressive voice of Morgan Freeman commentating, while watching all characters fostering an exquisite environment which binds you until the end where the climax is orgasmic (no pun intended).

Of course they have to make some changes in sequence of scenes and pour some nominal plot variations to make it fit better on-screen but as long as there are no stupid twists in plot or character abolishing direction, the movie is always quite enjoyable. Unlike those ‘sophisticated’ folk mentioned earlier I do not go and watch a movie to point out how different it is from book. Hell, I ain’t no professional critic. Then there are some cases where an adaptation is a catastrophe, in that case sure you can share a few laughs talking about things that went horridly wrong in the adaptation, no big deal.

There are dozens of examples I can give of books that have been artfully brought on screen, but I will just name one ‘Game of Thrones’. Need I say more?


Well, well, well, it's always good to know the thoughts of  creative people and I hope we all will stalk his talent on Instagram: Arte_es_la_vida


BTW the artist has no name :P 




JK: It's Harry Maghera 



**This material cannot be copied or used without the author's permission. **

To get your book reviewed you may contact me at:
Email: inextrica.sukriti@gmail.com
Facebook: Just a Thought
Goodreads: Sukriti


Library Thing: My page


No comments:

Post a Comment