Saturday, December 13, 2014

Behind The Books with Anna Elliott: Jane Austen Month

Today on our blog we have Anna Elliott who shares my love for Jane Austen books and has taken her legacy forward in form of Pride and Prejudice Chronicles. A resident of Washington DC she is a mother of affectionate mother to two daughters who are a constant source of inspiration to her and a doting husband. Her books have been loved by readers worldwide and having a conversation with her I have found have an extremely charming personality and so likable by anyone and everyone. She has an amazing and impressive number of titles in her kitty and her books are the kind that make you eager to know the end. She researches her topics well which make you feel the emotions of the character's of her books. Here are her responses to my explicit questioning to her:   



1. What drew towards writing in first place and at what age you took up your pen?

I've been writing stories for as long as I've been able to write, really. I can remember in first or second grade writing a long story called 'Ice Cream Land' about a character who travels to a land made of candy and ice cream.  I've been entertaining myself by making up stories ever since. :)

2. Why did you take up writing Pride and Prejudice Chronicles?
I love Pride and Prejudice and just really wanted to know what might have happened to the characters after the close of the book.  I love that world so much that I wanted more!  It was a privilege to be able to imagine myself into Jane Austen's immortal novel.

3. Has Jane Austen be an inspiration for you from the beginning?
I've loved Jane Austen from the first time I read one of her books, which I think was in my early teens.  Her amazing wit and vividly drawn characters are a constant inspiration.

4. Which character from the Pride and Prejudice book do you relate yourself to, and why?
I've always felt the strongest connection to Georgiana.  She's hardly described at all, and yet I felt very drawn to her.  Maybe because she's described as shy, and I've spent most of my life being shy, too.

5. Georgiana's character was the least described in the entire book how did you manage to build an entire character with such limited instances of her interaction?
Maybe because I've always felt the most connected to Georgiana, hercharacter just sprang to life for me right from the start.  As soon as Istarted writing, I could hear her voice as I imagined it would be.

6. Does any of the characters from your books relates to your own daughters and husband?
Interesting question!  Probably not in terms of actual personality traits, but I definitely base relationships in my books on relationships in my real life.  Georgiana and Edward are really friends as well as being in love; they laugh together, they talk, they share a sense of humor. At least, I hope that comes through in the story, and that's definitely the case with my husband and me.  Likewise, my daughters at 5 and 8 are obviously much younger than any of the Bennet sisters, but the sisterly relationships and friendships between all of them are very much based on my girls.  I don't have any sisters myself, but I have a ring-side seat to observing every day just how close the sisterly bond is, even when you're driving each other a little crazy. :)

7. Who is your favourite writer and which book have you read repetitively?

Oh gosh-- too many to list, really.  I love classic mysteries, and have read Agatha Christie's books more times than I can count, as well as Dorothy L Sayers and Patricia Wentworth.  I love Mary Stewart's books. Ire-read the Little House on the Prairie series every few years, and thesame goes for Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy-Tacy series.  Obviously I love Jane Austen, too!

8. From where do you take inspiration for the names of your characters?
I looked at first names that were popular during the Regency era, and then for last names, I read through lists of English surnames.  I always try to choose a name that matches the feeling I have about a character.

9. If you would have got a chance to meet with Jane Austen in person what would've you asked from her?
I would love to know how her unfinished books (the Watsons and Sanditon) would have ended if she'd had the chance to finish writing them!

10. Do you ever wish the you could change some incident of the story to entirely something else?
Oddly enough, I can't remember ever wishing that I could change anything. I think Jane Austen's original story is just so wonderful that there's nothing at all that can be improved.

11. What made you include the lovely illustrations in your stories?I have a gorgeously illustrated version of Pride and Prejudice that my husband bought for me as a gift.  I love how the illustrations compliment the text, and just wanted to evoke some of that same feeling in my books. I'm lucky enough to have a friend (Laura) who's an amazing artist!

12. Message to all your readers and your upcoming projects? (Please say there's going to be more in the P&P Chronicles....heheh because I loved them so much I don't want them to end)
Later this winter I have a novella coming out as part of a compilation of Regency Romance stories.  Mine is a prequel to Georgiana Darcy's Diary, centering on Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy and focusing on the weeks leading up to their wedding.  I'm really excited to share it with everyone, it was tons of fun to write!

It was a pleasure getting to know Anna and here's the link to her official website: http://www.annaelliottbooks.com/index.php

You can also find my reviews of her books here:
>Georgiana Darcy's Diary
>Pemberley to Waterloo
>Kitty Bennet's Diary
I'll be reviewing more of her works when I get the chance.

You can Buy Anna Elliott's books from amazon.com . This link redirects you to her amazon.com page where all her works can be found out for purchase or gifts.

Here are the links for all the books which are currently available for free:
Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continued (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles Book 1)
Dawn of Avalon
The Witch Queen's Secret
Susanna and the Spy

**This material cannot be copied or used without the author's permission. **

To get your book reviewed you may contact me on:
Email: inextrica.sukriti@gmail.com
Facebook: Sukriti Goyal
Goodreads: Sukriti
Library Thing: My page
Book Blogs: My page

No comments:

Post a Comment