Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Book Review: Dax Dugan and the Graveyard Gang: T.J. Braswell



image descriptionAuthor: T.J. Braswell
No of Pages: 72
Publication House: Polliwog Press
Date of Publication: 23rd June, 2014
Genre: Middle Grade Children's Fiction

Summary: (from goodreads.com)
Leaving the only home you've ever known and moving to a new town would be a little unnerving for any kid. Imagine moving to a new town and finding out that your closest neighbours are no longer among the living. That's what happens to 12-year-old Dax Dugan and his 9-year-old sister, Callie, when their mom's new job forces the whole family to leave the bustling city of Chicago and move to a quiet, rural town in Southern Illinois. Dax and Callie's parents tell them quite a bit about their new home before they ever leave Chicago. Unfortunately, the fact that there is a cemetery in their backyard is one piece of information they neglect to share. With the discoveries that follow, Dax and Callie quickly learn that life in the country is more than just cows and cornfields.

** The book had been sent by the author/publisher for an honest review and by no means the review is biased/influenced**

STAR RATING: 4.75/5 (This book is certainly more than 4.5 and below 5 so a 4.75)
DESCRIPTION IN ONE LINE: I was back to being 10-11.

Title: It informs the readers that Dax Dugan is certainly the main protagonist of the story and the sub title gives the hint that there's a gang of kids as well. The word graveyard hints to the location of the adventure. So the title gives the entire general idea of the book and its backdrop.
Title Rating: 5/5

Cover: Middle grade kids do love a lot of colour and attraction. The cover attracted my 12 year old sister as well and she's been after my kindle to get hold of it to read this one. The cover has been designed in  sync to the book.
Cover Rating: 4.5/5

Characters: DAX: This young guy was certainly not looking up to the country life and is the kind of child who loves a standard routine. He was scared when he should have been and has all the characteristics of any boy his age. He still has been very brave at instances and grown up to look at his new surrounding with a fresh perspective and adventure. Having dead neighbours is a freaky thought to me, even at the age of 21 so I really can't blame him.
CALLIE: She's certainly the brownie in the story with a lively character and the daring ways. At the age of 9 a graveyard did scare her initially but she doesn't let herself get jaded by the fact and has stolen the limelight in the story from Dax at many places.
GANG: Jamal, Marie and Wiley made a good team and never let the others fail. They were the part of the team as much as Dax and Callie. Being the secondary characters more character development was not possible and not required as well.
GHOST: Oops.....shhh the spirit was a good one but restless to attain peace from roaming around at nights and loved Dax's dog as his own.
Characters Rating: 5/5

Review: It is a fresh book for the children to enjoy a ghost story without getting scared too much. There's thrill, suspense and a good end to make the kids smile. The countryside backdrop is really simple and doesn't meddle with the theme of the story keeping it a clear and easy read. Dax and the gang are trying to help out Sam the ghost to finally rest in his grave and give the kids an adventure for some fun in the quiet of the place. The kids help out the ghost is a mystery that the reader can solve by reading the book and doesn't have to wait for a sequel. Kids who love Hardy Boys, Famous Five etc. can surely give a go at this one.
Review Rating: 4.5/5

Appreciation: When I started reading the book I thought it's a kids book what am I doing with it. As I went ahead I was lost in the story as the entire story line, specially the climax, is well written. 

Let Downs: There aren't any let downs but I'm a bit surprised that the parental influence was literally missing after the first half and they suspected nothing peculiar.

Final Verdict: Highly recommended for children aged between 9-13 and I guess I'll be lending my kindle to my sister today. Not a very long read so the kids can probably finish this book over a weekend.

Would I be reading more from T.J. Braswell: Although I'm beyond the age to read her books but it won't hurt me occasionally to have a nice book to read for an hour or two. I shall be recommending and surely GIFTING her books to all the kids I know and I really hope she writes a lot.

The book is available here:


To get your book reviewed you may contact me on:
Email: inextrica.sukriti@gmail.com
Facebook: Sukriti Goyal
Goodreads: Sukriti
Library Thing: My page
Book Blogs: My page

No comments:

Post a Comment